Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I feel so honored.

Please read: http://matthewrscott.us/

I have been called out by a member of the city council. I must be really special to receive such an honor from such a distinguished member of the council.

It's truly a shame, that in our great city to have someone so humorless on the council. Amazing that someone so well educated has such a weak grasp of sarcasm. Someone who voluntarily enters the public life must expect a certain level of criticism from citizens. In fact it is not only my right under the first amendment of the Constitution, it is the duty of every citizen to critically analyze what their representatives are doing.

I do not work for any paper, therefore I am unashamedly biased in my opinions. I will hold no punches. This is just a blog, written with a great deal of sarcasm and humor. There is nothing malicious written. My hope is that others in the city get involved and see what the council does.

Was I vehemently opposed to annexation? Yes and no.

A little history first: I have lived in the neighborhood for 10 years now, I have lived in Rockwall since 1987. I moved here as a kid with my family. I love Rockwall. I can remember a Rockwall few on the council ever knew. I remember when we had 2 street lights and where Chili's now stands was an very old abandoned gas station with a cow pasture behind it. I have seen the city grow from about 5,000 to nearly 30,000 now. I graduated from Rockwall High School in 1993. All of my siblings attended Rockwall schools. My parents live in Rockwall. My sister (Rockwall Grad) and her family live in Rockwall (LRE residents). My cousin (Rockwall Grad) and her family live in Rockwall (LRE residents). My closest friend and his family live in Rockwall (LRE residents). My office is in Rockwall.

I do not hate Rockwall. I love Rockwall.

From Mr Scotts own Blog:

"But here’s the interesting part: [refering to me] wanted nothing to do with the City of Rockwall, and wanted nothing to do with living in the City of Rockwall."

For the record: I love Rockwall.

Who is spreading lies now?

My opposition to annexation had absolutely nothing to do with me not wanting to be a citizen of Rockwall. When I moved in 10 years ago there was talk of annexation. When I was in high school 15 years ago there was talk of annexation. I can think of no time our neighborhood was not considered for annexation. I knew that we would be annexed before I even started looking for a home in that neighborhood. Only a fool thought we would not be annexed.

My opposition stems from the condescending attitude many on the council expressed towards our neighborhood. I didn't want to be annexed because a bunch of do-gooders who felt we needed to be saved from ourselves. The neighborhood had been improving long before the city ever started official annexation procedures 3 years ago. The city wanted to make our neighborhood "better". I love my neighborhood exactly the way it has been since I moved into my house: constantly improving.

More from Mr Scott:

"But suddenly he wanted to LEAD the City of Rockwall?"

I am unworthy to represent my fellow citizens because I opposed annexation? As a "new" citizen of Rockwall, I now have the right and responsibility to be concerned with the direction of my city. I can only assume any negative action or opinion makes anyone ineligible in Mr Scott's eyes to represent their fellow citizens. I must blindly follow the shepherding of the council in all matters or else I am to be seen as not caring about the city of Rockwall?

Mr Scott is arrogant to think he is somehow a target of mine because he voted for annexation. I have had multiple discussions with Mayor Cecil, Mayor Pro-Tem Sevier, and councilmen Sweet and Russo, all of whom I expressed my distaste of the do-gooder attitude towards our neighborhood.

Next:

"This is not on his web site, but I think it’s interesting, and you might to. Right before the council filing deadline, David White filed to run against Glen Farris (why Glen and not me is still a compelte shock considering how much he obviously dislikes me)."

Who I decided to run against is irrelevant to any of this. Mr Scott, you think you are some special target of mine and I should have filed against you?

Why is it "interesting" that I have not put it on my website? Do you think I am hiding something? Are you accusing me of something? Tell me why it is interesting.

You have obviously taken my comments very personally. I do not know you personally. You may be the greatest husband, father, co-worker, or whatever. I hope you are, but I am not interested in your personal life one bit. Only your policies are of my concern. Some I disagree with, some I agree with.

It is obvious you have negative personal feelings about me, and yet as I said, we don't know each other personally.

In a way I am truly honored to have an elected official take such an interest in me. I'm just some guy in a little house with an opinion.

At the same time it concerns me that an elected official has publicly targeted a constituent for his opinions.

I love Rockwall. I am a citizen or Rockwall. I have my concerns and opinions regarding the direction of my hometown. I have been to all city council meetings since annexation and plan to attend every single one that I can in the future, which I hope is all of them. I'm not going anywhere.

Matt, if you want to have a civil discussion with me at the next meeting: I'll be the fat guy taking the fastidious notes.

Finally to my 4 regular readers, I will return back to a more sarcastic tone in the next blog. I will not address Mr Scott personally in this venue again. Maybe.

2 comments:

  1. And I will be the skinny guy with the bass laughing in Haslet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did get around to reading rockwallzoo and OMG!!! that guy is a complete jerk and can't read clearly. I think you mentioned him twice and he seemed to think that your whole blog was about him...and he wants to help me clean up my neighborhood??? I think you commemted that the neighborhood was cleaning up on its own and it has, I guess not with swimming pools and garage doors on the backs of houses. The comment about the most sex offenders living in this aras...well DUHH...the city of Rockwall didn't want them so where else could they rent a house in the area? Does he really think that cleaning up the neighborhood is going to get rid of sex offenders? What they need to do is fix the streets and get us city WATER so that I can quit paying outreageous water bills and use that money to make my home pretty, so that when all those other Rockwall citizens drive by my house they won't be offended by its plainliness.

    Keep up the scarcasm...you wouldn't be you with out it.

    ReplyDelete