Sunday, May 10, 2009

Democracy in action!

Oops, I meant "Democracy inaction!"

May 9th elections have passed. Rockwall now has 4 (5 total, I think) more unelected council members, all incumbents. Do I blame them for running unopposed? Nope. I do blame them for a lot of other stuff, though.

Did they run unopposed because the nearly 30,000 people in the city think they do the best job ever? Not even close. I have talked via email, in person and on the phone to countless folks who very strong opinions about the current council.

Only one person (me) filed to run. Unfortunately, state law and federal law (the federal law being a violation of the 10th amendement, but who cares about that?) prevented me from running. Basically, I'm not a qualified voter as my voting district changed after annexation and we had to wait 90 days from annexation for the state (about May 17th, I should be eligible. Good timing) and 60 days for preclearance from the feds. The city really sat on their hands about that one, btw. The city didn't even bother to apply for preclearance at the earlist date after annexation, February 18th I think. Guess someone broght in some "lil somkies" that day. About April 13th or 14th the city finally did get around to submitting the info (I haven't verified, so maybe still hasn't happened).

So 2 more years of unelected officials telling Rockwall what's best for them.

So who's to blame for the council running unopposed? You. (Unless Pete or Ben are reading this, they couldn't run either).

No comments:

Post a Comment