Tuesday, April 21, 2009

You do know it's 2009, right?

On my way home last evening from the council, I got pulled over and ticketed for exceeding the speed limit. It happens, not my first, won't be my last. I fully accept the consequence and am willing to pay my fines.

However, I went to the court at 2:30pm to take care of the ticket, because that's what a responsible citizen does. Not wait until the last minute to take of the ticket, or worse, ignore it.

I tell the lady there my intentions. After a brief pause she says, "You just got this yesterday?"

"Yes.", I replied.

"Oh, it won't be in the system for 3 days."

"3 days? Are you kidding?"

People can electronically transfer ten of thousands of dollars in a heartbeat electronically, you can do all your banking and bill paying electronically with usually less than a few hours for the transaction to complete. You can buy homes and cars and books and ovens electronically and instantaneously.

But our city is still so backwards that they are still handwriting tickets and taking 3 days to process? Why are we wasting money on aesthetic improvements while basic things like computerizing these operations are ignored? About 5-6 years ago I got a ticket, printed from a computer, from the DPS on the Bush Tollway on my to my office in Rockwall. By the time I got to the office 20-30 minutes later, I was able to take of the ticket online.

The city is discouraging responsible behavior by still processing tickets as they did 20 years ago when I got my first one (which was also in Rockwall). Frustration leads to apathy.

I'm not irritated I got a ticket, I'm irritated at the asinine, backwards bureaucracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment